- Digital marketing – including social media – is the skill that the greatest share of CMOs believe is most important to their marketing team’s success today – They are also the three skills most difficult to find when building a team
- Data analytics and insights skills are among the most challenging to secure when building a team, per 57% of CMO respondents. Not far behind, 51% rate strategic thinking as being among the most difficult to find.
This most recent study indicates that the top barrier to building a strong marketing team is budget constraints (33%), though a shortage of talent (29%) is close behind. The largest talent gap, according to previous research? Analytics!
- Almost 6 in 10 marketing leaders don’t think their teams have the skills needed to manage the increasing demands placed on the marketing function today; and
- Recent survey results from the ANA, McKinsey and GfK indicate that client-side marketers are taking a bigger role in shaping business strategy and influencing product innovation and new business models at their organizations.
- An earlier study from the EIU and Marketo found that in the next few years, marketing is more likely to be shaping company strategy.