- My father had cardiac surgery at the Cleveland Clinic this summer, truly an amazing experience
- It got me thinking about the talent involved in that particular profession
- In 2010 there were 4,000 cardiothoracic surgeons who performed more than 530,000 cases
- By 2030, there will be about only 3,000 cardiothoracic surgeons available to cover about 854,000 cases
- Looking ahead to 2035, there is a growing disparity between the number of cardiothoracic surgeons needed and the number available
- With an overall 61% increase in the number of cases, the researchers anticipate a 54% increase in heart surgery cases, a 70% increase in lung cancer cases, and a 64% increase in esophageal cancer cases
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery estimates that cardiothoracic surgeons would have to increase their caseload by 121% to meet demand which is not feasible.
Story Source:Materials provided by American Association for Thoracic Surgery.