- Miscellaneous errors were at fault for 17.7% of breaches, followed by insider and privilege misuse (16.3%) and physical theft and loss (15.1%)
- Crimeware accounted for 12.4% of intrusions, with phishing attacks picking up dramatically.
- The median time for the first user of a phishing campaign to open the malicious email is 1 minute, 40 seconds and the median time to the first click on the attachment was 3 minutes, 45 seconds, according to Verizon.
- Ransomware attacks, a form of crimeware that restricts access to an infected computer system and demands the user pay money, increased by 16%, accounting for 39% of crimeware incidents in 2015.
- Common errors included improper disposal of company information, misconfiguration of IT systems, and lost and stolen assets such as laptops and smartphones.
- More than a quarter of them involved people mistakenly sending sensitive information to the wrong person.
Via: 2016 Data Breach Investigations Report